Saturday 20 June 2015

A Wallet Card for Dad for Father's Day




Earlier this week I came across a neat Wallet Card on the "You're Filling Dad's Wallet?" post on the Chaos Served Daily Blog. I loved it, but I didn't have the clear embossing powder that she used. I mulled it over a bit and decided to combine her wallet design with the Faux Stamped Leather technique I shared on my "Leather Look for a Man or Woman" post earlier this week. It makes a great Father's Day card, and it can hold money, gift cards, or photo cards, or all three.


First I cut a piece of 3 x 8 1/2 piece of Early Espresso card stock and scored it at 4 1/4. I stamped a stamp from the Lovely as a Tree stamp set and a stamp from the April 2015 Love You a Lot Paper Pumpkin kit using Memento on the card front. I placed the cardstock on my Stampin' Pierce Mat and, because I don't have a stylus yet, I used the point of an empty mechanical pencil to trace around both images.


Next I lightly sponged over the card front with the following four colours in this order - Hello Honey, Pumpkin Pie, Tip Top Taupe, and Baked Brown Sugar.


I rounded the corners with my Envelope Punch Board.


I decided the edges of the card front needed more definition so I sponged around them with Early Espresso, but because I don't have an Early Espresso ink pad, I used my Early Espresso Stampin' Write Marker and scribbled over the top of a clear block, before using a Stampin' Sponge to pick up the ink and sponge it around the edge of the card.


With the card front still on the Stampin' Pierce Mat I used my Paper-Piercing Tool and a stencil from the Essentials Paper Piercing Pack to pierce all around the edge of the card front. I free handed the piercing on the card I featured a in the Faux Leather post earlier this week and it's okay, but I like the look of the piercing with the stencil better.


Next, following the instructions on the blog I linked in the opening of this post, I cut more pieces of Early Espresso for the inside of the card
- one piece 2 1/2 x 8
- 2 pieces 2 x 3 3/4
- 2 pieces 1 1/2 x 3 3/4
I sponged all around the edges of these pieces with Baked Brown Sugar, and did some extra sponging in the middle of the smallest pieces.


Using Memento ink and stamps from the April 2015 Love You a Lot Paper Pumpkin kit, I stamped greetings on the smallest pieces, giving them more of a leather look.


Using my 2-Way Glue Pen I adhered the stamped smaller pieces to the bigger pieces just around the sides and the bottom, making little pockets.


I scored the 2 1/2 x 8 piece at 4 with my Stampin' Trimmer scoring blade.


Then I adhered the pockets to this piece, just along the bottom and sides, making more pockets.

I decided to pierce around the edges of these pieces before adhering the whole thing to the inside of the card, once again just along the bottom and the sides, making one big pocket, like the bill pocket in a wallet. I left a small space on each side of the middle bottom without any adhesive so that the wallet would open and shut right. When I adhered it I folded the middle piece and placed it just on one side of the inside card and folded the card over the middle, instead of placing it flat out, to help it fit right for opening and closing and putting things in. (I hope that makes sense). I left it a while to let the glue set.  This is what it looks like opened up.


Sadly I adhered the inside part up from the bottom a little too much so bills stick up over the top a little when you put them in, but it's not too bad. If/when I do it again I will adhere it down a little further so bills fit better.


I am planning to get some gift cards to put in the other pockets, and I made some photo cards of our children to fit in them. I used my Pages program to get the photos the size I wanted, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, printed them on cardstock, cut them and rounded the corners with my envelope punch board.



It was a bit of work, but I really enjoyed working on this card. It is a great card to make for a male any time of the year.

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic card! Great ideas continue to come from your busy mind!

    ReplyDelete