Monday 1 June 2015

Simple, functional bookmark


I made these bookmarks tonight to give to my guests at Stampin' Up! Open Houses across Newfoundland this week. It's going to be a busy week!

At the events, guests will receive a copy of the 2015-2016 Stampin' Up! Annual Catalogue. I heard that demonstrators often make bookmarks to give to their customers along with their catalogues, so I set of to research what these bookmarks might look like. I've seen some beautiful bookmarks during my research.

I've been debating with myself for weeks about the design of my bookmarks. Should I go for function or beauty? Should I feature the new In-Colours? Should I feature a new stamp set, maybe the RMHC stamp set? Should I use some punches, dies, layers?

I finally decided that I would make my bookmarks functional. The purpose of the bookmark is to mark pages and help you find your favourite things, so I decided to go with a "These are a few of my Favourite Things" theme.

I decided to make one side of the bookmark a wish list with space for customers to record their favourite things, along with the pages they are found on.

The other side of the bookmark contains my contact information so that they can easily contact me with any questions.

Using the word processing program on my printer, I played around with textboxes and placement until I had something that worked. I printed that on Whisper White Cardstock and then cut the bookmarks. They measure 2 x 8 1/2. Then I used the Tag Topper Scalloped Punch on the top and rounded the bottom edges using the Envelope Punch Board.

Stamps from two of my favourite stamp sets (Butterfly Basics and Lovely as a Tree) were used in the design of the bookmarks, and I also used one of my favourite techniques - sponging. I tied a 6 inch piece of my favourite colour lace to the top of the bookmark for the final touch.

The 2015-2016 will go live online tomorrow, so be sure to check it out. If you would like to have a paper copy of the catalogue, along with one of my bookmarks, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment