Thursday 12 March 2015

Peek-a-Boo Balloon Birthday Card



This fun card was inspired by SplitcoastStampers Peek-a-Boo Card YouTube video, which is also available on the Peek-a-Boo Card Tutorial page. I absolutely love the card she made in the video and wanted to try the technique but didn't have any stamps and punches or die cuts that I thought I could use. Then I had a thought. Maybe I could do it with the Celebrate Today stamp set and the Balloon Framelits dies. I decided to give it a try.

To make things even harder on myself, I decided I wanted a normal 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 card, rather than the larger card she made in the video. It took some time to figure out the measurements I needed but I finally figured it out.

Here's what the card looks like opened up:


You really don't get the full experience of the card until you watch it open. I wanted to do a video to show that so I asked my "almost double digiter" to help. Sorry for the quality, but it gives you an idea of what it's like.




I sponged the background for the card using three colours - Bermuda Bay, Lost Lagoon, and Coastal Cabana. I used very little of each and just played with it til I was happy with it. I sponged the edges for a little more punch. I stamped the butterflies in Blushing Bride using a stamp from the Perpetual Birthday Calendar stamp set. The string was stamped with Baked Brown Sugar, the streamers with Hello Honey, the balloons with Pistachio Pudding, and the word Happy with Wild Wasabi. All the stamps in those colours are from the Celebrate Today stamp set.

The card looks a little funny standing on it's own but it's not too bad:





If you are interested in the measurements for making this card, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Jacqueline, I'd love to know the measurements of your card, please. I really like the way it worked out. I'd love to try it... in the summer! Signed, the same Anonymous person as before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need three pieces of card stock:
    - one 8 1/4 x 4 1/4 scored at 5 1/2, for the card front.
    - one 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 scored at 4 1/4, for the inside
    - one 5 3/4 x 4 1/4 scored at 4 1/4, for the back
    Then just follow the instructions in the video.

    ReplyDelete