Monday 9 March 2015

Virtual Stamp Night Creations



This past weekend I participated in SplitcoastStampers Virtual Stamp Night (VSN). It was so much fun! I have participated in online stamping, scrapbooking events in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them and this just reminded me of how much fun they are. The cards above are the ones I created for challenges in the VSN.

Here's a closer look at them:


I think this was my favourite of the night. It was completed for an X Marks the Spot Challenge. You were required to use the spotlight technique. I had never heard of this technique before and I didn't know how I was going to do it because I have so few punches and no nesting punches. I almost decided not to try it, but then I had an idea. 

I stamped the flower from Butterfly Basics onto a 4 x 5 1/4 piece of Very Vanilla card stock for the card front and the flower part onto a smaller piece of Very Vanilla with Baked Brown Sugar. I punched the top of the flower out with the Pansy Punch and then coloured it with blending pens and Crisp Cantaloupe, Pistachio Pudding and Hello Honey. Using a sponge, I inked the edges of the pansy with baked brown sugar. Using a Stampin' Dimensional, I adhered the coloured image and then stamped the rest of the images. I rounded the corners with the envelope board punch and adhere the card front to a Soft Suede card base.


This one was completed for the Welcoming Door challenge. You have to us a door on your card front and include a welcome sign. I was stumped! I did some searching for inspiration and came across one I liked. Unfortunately, I can't find it again to give credit, but this is a case of a similar card. Cutting out the windows was a bit of a pain, using only my paper trimmer, but I was fairly pleased with it in the end. A window sheet is in place for the window pane. Inside is a half wreath hanging from the top and lots of space to write a personal message of welcome to a new family in the neighbour hood or social group. 


This one was completed for the Dig Deep challenge and you had to bury your image under something. The challenger suggested some ways to do this. I decided to try the Cracked Glass Technique. Problem was I only had iridescent embossing powder to work with, and not a lot of that. It didn't quite work out like it was supposed to because it didn't get thick enough to crack, but it did kind of bury the image under a nice shimmery coating. Stamped with the Lotus Blossom stamp set using black, blackberry bliss, and melon mambo, I think.  The card base is Blackberry Bliss.


For this challenge you had to case a card from a hostess. I chose to case this card. (not sure if that link will work or not but I can't find another link to the card) I rubbed the Whisper White Craft ink pad over the Lovely Lace enbossing folder and pressed the Calypso Coral card base onto it. I then sprinkled white embossing powder over it and heat embossed it after shaking off the access. I was hoping for a clearer image but the slightly distressed look is growing on me. I made the 3D flower by using the Pansy Punch on Calypso Coral cardstock and following the instructions on Carolina Evan's blog post. This is actually a 6 1/4 x 3 1/2 card made to hold a gift card and to fit in a normal business size envelope. Stamped with the B.Y.O.P stamp set and crisp Canteloupe.


For this challenge you were supposed to use a Spring Blossom. Once again I was stumped because I didn't have any spring blossom stamps. I did have the Lotus Blossom stamp and it has always reminded me of a tulip so I decided to get creative with it. I inked the stamp up with strawberry slush and wiped the ink off the part of the stamp that didn't look so much like a tulip before stamping it on very vanilla cardstock. I inked part of a stamp from the Butterfly Basics stamp set with wild wasabi to add leave to the stem.


The challenge for this card was to create an easter card and include an easter egg on it. Once again I was stumped. I don't have any easter stamps. I was checking through my stamp set for stamps that might be easter egg shaped when I had an idea. One of the trees on the Newborn King stamp set kind of reminded me of an easter egg, even though it wasn't fully shaped. To me, easter is all about the death and resurrection of Jesus, which wouldn't be possible without his birth so maybe I could create an easter card with this stamp. I stamped the image with an early espresson Stampin' Write marker, only inking the part of the image that I wanted to use. I stamped it on very vanilla cardstock and finished drawing in the easter egg shape and the design with the marker. I coloured it with a blender pen and ink pads. A very different easter card.


For this challenge you were asked to use a treasured memory as inspiration for a card. One of my most treasured memories is of my Grandmother's prayers. I made this simple 3x3 card using the Thoughts and Prayers stamp set. I coloured the stamp with Stampin' Write markers before stamping. I was pretty excited when this one got picked for one of the CAS (Clean and Simple) cards of the week.

It was a fun weekend playing along in the virtual stamp night. I'm looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment