Tuesday 12 May 2015

A Birthday Card fit for a man, or woman.


Today is my firstborn's birthday. He came into the world six weeks early at just barely six pounds, and now he's a strapping young man with a family of his own. I intended to give this card to him today for his birthday, but I forgot to take it with me when I went to visit him. I confessed in an earlier post that I'm not good with posting cards. Truth be known, I'm not good with giving them, period. I need to work on that.

While browsing pinterest the other day, a card by Michelle Zindorf caught my eye. She featured the card, with instructions on how to make it, on her blog post titled Lovely As a Tree Sympathy Card: Stampin' Up! Tutorial #565. I had to give it a try.

For my card I took a 5x4 piece of whisper white cardstock and smeared my Daffodil Delight ink pad all over it.


Then I used my Pistachio Pudding ink pad to create the idea of mountains in the background.


Using a stamp from the Lovely As a Tree stamp set, I stamped trees all across the foreground in Mossy Meadow.

Next, I sponged Wild Wasabi all over the trees. I didn't think it was making any difference but when I look at the pictures here I can see it definitely did.


I really didn't see any difference when I sponged some Old Olive over the bottom part of the trees, but Michelle had sponged two different shades of green so I decided to do the same. 


Lastly, I smeared the Mossy Meadow ink pad across the very bottom. I liked it much better without that step, but it was too late now.


I decided to make my card a Birthday Card, so I stamped the sentiment with one of the stamps from the Butterfly Basics stamp set, once again using Mossy Meadow.

I really didn't like the bottom part of the design, so I decided to cover it up a bit by tying some Hello Honey twine, which was part of a Sale-a-Bration item, across the bottom.

I matted the piece onto a 4 1/8 x 5 1/4 piece of Mossy Meadow cardstock and adhered the whole thing to a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card base made from Crushed Curry cardstock.



I think it makes a nice masculine card, but could also be used for a woman.

4 comments:

  1. WOW what a great card! Love the addition of the string on the bottom of the card, makes it complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it added a great finishing touch.

      Delete
  2. I really like this card. The string idea is fantastic - it softens the bottom and still leaves it masculine. I also love that a small part of what was stamped yellow was lighter and almost looks like the sun coming through the mist. It really is a great card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun look was a happy accident. :-) I meant to try to do that but forgot, but luckily there was just enough lightness in just the right spot to give it the look anyway.

      Delete