Wednesday 13 May 2015

Making tin is hard work


Okay, so it's not real tin, and it's not real hard, when you have the right tools. I was playing with my heat tool and silver embossing powder last night, trying my hand at making some faux tin tiles.

A little while back SplitcoastStampers posted a Faux Tin Tiles Tutorial. I thought it was interesting but I didn't have a lot of what they used so I went searching for another way to do it. That's when I found Diana Gibbs post Technique Lover's Class - Faux Metal Tin Ceiling. Unfortunately the link for the video in her blog post doesn't work, but I found it on Youtube - Faux Metal Tin Ceiling Tutorial with Diana Gibbs.  I had everything I needed to make the tin tiles this way so I tried it out last night.

First I took a piece of cardstock and rubbed my VersaMark all over it to cover the whole thing with VersaMark.


It really doesn't matter what cardstock you use because it's going to be completely covered in the end anyway so it is a great way to use up pieces of cardstock that you may have ruined or didn't turn out like you hoped. The size depends on how many tiles you want and the size of your tiles. I used a 5x3 piece of cardstock here.

Once it was all inked up, I sprinkled Silver embossing powder all over it until it was completely covered, and then shook off the excess.


Then I melted the embossing powder onto the paper using my Heat Tool. I love watching it change colour as it melts.


Once it was all melted I let it cool a bit before smearing it all over with VersaMark again and covering it with the embossing powder again.


When it was all covered, I shook off the excess, before heating it again with my Heat Tool. This is what it looked like in the end.


Because I didn't have the punch the Diana used, I used my Stampin' Trimmer to cut it into 1" strips...


...and then into 1" squares


Then I used one of my embossing folders and my Texture Boutique to emboss the squares.


Here's what they looked like after


I was hoping to do something with them today but I didn't get a chance to. Hopefully soon, but I don't know for sure because I had a couple of ideas on how to do something a little different, so I may have to try out my other ideas first. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment