Saturday 23 May 2015

Waste not, want not


Some might think it's weird, but the first work of my three works in progress pieces that I decided to make use of is the one that turned out the worse. I almost threw this watercolour piece in the garbage, but I'm glad I didn't. I like how it turned out.

As I explained in my Works in Progress post, the focal point of this card was inspired by Heather Telford's Distress Stain Watercolour tutorial at SplitcoastStampers. I didn't have the stains, markers, or paper that she used in her tutorial, but I decided to try her techniques with the supplies that I had.

I started with a piece of Stampin' Up! Watercolour Paper. I used Stampin' Write Markers to ink up one of the stamps in the Butterfly Basics by colouring right onto the stamp. Then, before stamping on the watercolour paper, I gave the stamp a few sprays of water with my Stampin' Spritzer. Unfortunately I sprayed it a bit too much and a bit too close causing the image to totally lose it's definition when I stamped it. I was bummed, but I recognized what I had done wrong and decided to try again, but I also decided to keep this particular piece and see if I could redeem it some how.


The more I looked at the piece, the more it grew on me and I finally came up with a plan. I cut the watercolour piece to 4 x 5 1/4.

I cut another 1 x 2 piece of watercolour paper for the sentiment. Using Baked Brown Sugar I inked up one of the stamps from Butterfly Basics stamp set and I misted it just a touch with my Stampin' Spritzer before stamping it.

I cut a 1 1/4 x 2 1/4 piece of Summer Starfruit card stock and adhered the stamped greeting to it.

I cut a 6" piece of ribbon and adhered the matted greeting to it before adhering the ribbon around the watercolour piece.

I cut a 4 1/4 x 11 piece of Primrose Petals and scored it at 5 1/2 to make the card base and adhered the watercolour piece to the base.

I decided to add three Pearl Basic Jewel Embellishments as an extra touch but it still seemed to be missing something. I didn't like how the flowers lacked detail so I decided to add some details with my Dazzling Details. It was the finishing touch I was looking for.

The colours I used in this card are all past In Colors and are no longer available, but comparable colours can be found in the current Stampin' Up! Colours Collections.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you did with your "mistake" - it looks anything but! I also love the layout of the card - simple with pops of colour. Very nice job, Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love simple! And I love when mistakes turn into masterpieces. Often all it takes is changing a mind set and looking at things a new way.

    ReplyDelete