Thursday 2 April 2015

A challenge for Autism Awareness Day



Today is Autism Awareness Day and blue is showing up all over the place. I wanted to show my support and help spread awareness some how.

I know some moms with autistic children that have taught me a lot about how special their children are and how much they learn from them. When I was wondering what I could do for autism awareness my eyes fell on the card I made the other day with the Mother's Love stamp set. If ever there were moms that this set applies to it is these moms, so I decided to make a card especially for these moms, using the colour that is recognized as supporting Autism Awareness.

I don't think anybody loves their children like these moms do.

And, as the inside of the card says...



... no moms deserve more love than they do for all that they do to try to help others understand their children. So I'm sending big hugs to all you moms! You deserve that and so much more.

As a suggestion from one of my friends who I've watched love her children and work at helping others understand them, I am inviting all you moms with autistic children to leave a comment and share something that your autistic child has taught you.

For the rest of us, I challenge you with a quote from Kim Stagliano's post in the Washington Post today:
I suggest you make a donation to a local organization that is actively helping families in your area. Instead of attending pep rallies and wearing blue bracelets, give to an organization that provides service dogs for autistic children or volunteer as an autism buddy. If your child has a classmate on the spectrum, invite that classmate to your child’s next birthday party. You know that cashier at the grocery store who doesn’t look at you as she takes care of your order? Smile at her, even if she does not smile back. The best way we can support Autism Awareness Month is to turn it into AutismAction Month. People with autism deserve a bright – not just a blue – future.


No comments:

Post a Comment