Wednesday 15 April 2015

A New Way to Use Stencils


The Wednesday Tutorial at SplitcoastStampers today was a Stencil Monoprints Tutorial. At first I didn't think I would be able to try it because I didn't think I had any stencils to use for it, and then, while I was contemplating using my Big Shot to somehow make stencils to use, I suddenly remembered that I did have two stencils! 

The stencils, or masks as they are sometimes called, were a part of the Hooray It's Your Day Card Kit I purchase a while back. 



One of the reasons I purchased the kit was because of the stencils that came with it, and also because of the spritzers that came with it. It's a great kit that was fun to work with.

Anyway, once I remembered that I did have stencils to use I got to work. I decided to try both of the stencils. I used both full sized ink pads and ink spots. It was so much fun, and so easy! 


One thing that I didn't like is how I got different coloured inks on my ink pads when I pressed the different ink pads on the already inked stencil. That's when I decided to try the ink spots to lessen that happening. I was fairly careful and didn't get a lot, just mostly around the edges of my ink pads but I still didn't like that. I think I might try sponging the ink onto the stencil when I try it again. 

I've only used one of the pieces in a card yet. Still not sure what I'm doing to do with the other. 

For the card at the top of this post, I decided to just cut the watercolour paper 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 and use the whole thing as a card front. I inked up the sunburst stencil with my Real Red and Daffodil Delight ink spots that I got in Paper Pumpkin kits. I spritzed the stencil with water using the Stampin' Spritzer before pressing the stencil on the watercolour paper. I dabbed the access water off with a paper towels before adhering this to a card base.  I stamped the greeting using a stamp from the Butterfly Basics stamp set using Baked Brown Sugar.

As a finishing touch I decided to add a butterfly I had sitting with my scraps. I had cut the butterfly out of Very Vanilla cardstock using my Big Shot and one of the thinlits from the Butterfly Thinlits Dies*. I had sponged the body of the butterfly with Baked Brown Sugar, sponged around the edges with Daffodil Delight, and dabbed a bit of Pistachio Pudding here and there on the wings. I thought I might use it on a card I made yesterday but decided I didn't like it with the card so I put it in my scraps, and I thought it looked quite nice on the card I made today.

This was so much fun! Now I want more stencils to play with!

* the Butterfly Thinlits dies are still not re-stocked! They are expected any day so keep checking the store.

6 comments:

  1. I took a break and watched the video showing the technique... and you have to wonder if the ink doesn't spread to each subsequent colour. I will have to figure it out without missing my ink pads. That would drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I didn't like about it. I was careful and only got ink along the edges of my ink pads but I still wasn't happy about that. That's why I said I think i'll try doing it by sponging the ink on the stencil next time. I think it will work. I'll let you know when I try it.

      Delete
  2. I agree about the inkpads...maybe sponge on using reinkers? Love your butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking about trying sponging next time, not necessarily with reinkers though, maybe just with the ink pads still, squeezing the ink into the cover to use.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful project. I would like to know if the Star Burst Stencil can be purchased by itself or does it only come in the kit? Thanks

    Linda D,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know the stencil is only available from Stampin' Up! in the Hooray Its Your Day kit. It really is a great kit!

      Delete