Friday 10 April 2015

Finally, Cluster Stamping Success!


The Try a New Technique challenge at SplitcoastStampers this week was to try Cluster Stamping. The instructions were to create a stencil with a die or punch. place the stencil over a cardbase, and then select some small stamps to stamp through the stencil onto the cardbase to create a cluster.

I cheated a little. I didn't stamp right onto my cardbase, but onto a piece of cardstock. I actually didn't notice that the challenge said specifically to stamp on a cardbase until just now. Oh well.

As soon as I read this challenge I knew I had to try it. I had it all figured out in my head and couldn't wait to try it. Well, things didn't quite go as I thought they would. I was not impressed with my first attempt. But I wasn't willing to give up. Yesterday I posted a picture in my blog post that showed some of my attempts to conquer the technique. After much experimenting I finally had success!

I used my big shot and one of the dies from the Circles Collection Framelits Die to cut the stencil out of plain typewriter paper. I had tried using cardstock for my stencil but it didn't work as good as the thinner typewriter paper. The stamps didn't stamp as good right around the edge, but the typewriter paper worked fine.


I decided to use stamps from a number of different sets - 










I placed my stencil over my cardstock and set up my stamps and inks, all ready to go to work.


I decided to go with the 2013-2015 colours for the card, because I just love this colour collection! And I love how it turned out!


I decided to round the corners of the cardstock using my envelope punch board.


I decided that it still needed something when I was done so I stamped the little stamp in each corner. The button and ribbon are from the Best Year Ever Accessory pack, which was a Sale-a-Bration item and is no longer available for purchase. The colour looks a bit off in the picture but the ribbon and button are actually Coastal Cabana, one of the 2013-2015 In Colours.

Though I struggled a bit with this technique, I do think I will use it again. It was fun experimenting with it.

If you're interested in trying this fun technique let me know and we'll set something up.

A quick last minute reminder that today is the last day for Stampin' Up!s free shipping promotion and it's also the last day to subscribe for Paper Pumpkin in time to receive this month's kit. Let me know if you need help placing an order.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this idea - I will have time to try it out soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete